Monday, February 20, 2006

BOOKS!

I have a collection of books that I think of as reliable standbys. Books that are such good fun time after time that I save them, and then ration them out slowly, like extra fine chocolate. Most are fiction, although a few non-fiction titles have earned their place on the list too.
The following list is not in any particular order, andI iincluded the year I first read them if I remember it. Take note of those early dates, kids...you might want to add those titles to your shelf. Except for.....
1. The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, H.P.Lovecraft, 1981 which you must read and buy immediately if you have not already, for this is a book of such rare language, image and imagination that it belongs rightfully upon the shelf of anyone considering themself a lover of fiction. Furthermore I demand that it instantly be included in the curriculum of every class in American fiction being taught in any school anywhere. They can just bump a couple authors to make room. (Like Poe. To hell with ponderous Poe. He can sit in the asbestos handbasket with windy Mary Shelley and crappy Bram Stoker as long as he doesn't fidget.) It's an unforgiveable oversight and I want it rectified NOW. H.P.Lovecraft was a genius on the order of Aubrey Beardsley and he's been relegated to the 'oddity' shelf because people simply REFUSE TO FUCKING READ ENGLISH. (Well, that and he's really peculiar.)
I wish I had a nickel for every person who's ever told me 'Oo, Lovecrafts' too hard. I can't get into the language at all.' Morons, philistines, dregs and fice, all afflicted with Peyronies' of the BRAINSTEM, all of you. You don't DESERVE Lovecraft.
Read through 2 copies, and thats only because it's very hard to come by so I treat it well (and, um, I'm kind of afraid not to.) Otherwise the total would be well over seven.
2. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte.
A favorite since 1969. The only romance novel I've ever read. When I realized it was a romance novel I was horrified. Five copies. Finally got in in a Borzoi edition (and a Caxton just to be a smartass, and because I love the binding.)
3. Papillon, Henri Charierre. 1970
The best adventure story ever put on paper. Read through two copies.
4. Paper Moon, Joe David Brown.1971
Just an excellent, excellent work of historical fiction, completely accurate in every detail, and such a smooth read you lose yourself completely. wonderful. Second copy.
5. I'll Take It, Paul Rudnick.
Again, perfectly laser accurate in every detail and funny every time you read it. First copy, but failing fast. A latecomer.
6. Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady, Florence King.
Completely hilarious, beautifully written. Two copies.
7. The Hobbit and the Ring trilogy, J.R.R.Tolkein. 1968
(By the way, Kingsley Amis, that substance falling on your head down there in hell? Thats Tolkein up in Heaven, peeing on you. Ha.) Can't have one without the other as far as I'm concerned, and once you start, you start at the beginning and go all the way to the end with them. Glorious books. I've read my way through SIX sets of them. Yeah, baby.
8. The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas.
The second best adventure ever written. It's irresistable. Four copies
9. Dracula, Bram Stoker. 1968
You know, this book, after all is said and done, is pure dreck. It's uneven, in fact its pretty crappy in places... but still...it's Dracula. Five copies, finally got it in hardcover (Borzoi edition, so it's virtually bulletproof) in 1975.
10. The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle.
Again, irresistable. Helps that Conan Doyle never wrote a bad sentance in his life. More than four copies, at least....
(10 1/2.....The Beekeepers Apprentice, Laurie R. King. Honestly, worthy of the master. Don't own a copy but I will. I've checked it out seven or eight times already.)
11. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee. 1970. Of the bunch, the most superbly written and superbly crafted. Almost perfect, in fact. Two copies.
12. The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck.
Outstanding despite it's author. Fortunately it was written before Steinbeck turned into a self-important windbag (Travels With Charley!). Three copies
13. Watership Down, Richard Adams. also Tales from Watership Down..which I keep at the library.
Just a very likeable book about clever bunnies. Two copies
14. The Zero Stone, Andre Norton, also its sequel Uncharted Stars. 1970
Good clean (dreck) fun with aliens, talking mutant cats and spaceships. Three copies
15. Ubik, Phillip K. Dick.
A latecomer to the ranks. A work of genius. I lifted the idea for my blog intro from this book. Still on the first one. Use only as directed.
16. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute.
The Ultimate ordinary people against all odds book. I love it. Two copies
17. Boys Life, Richard McCammon.
A very odd book. Clearly this man wants to wash Ray Bradbury's feet. I like it. One.
18. Norstrillia, Cordwainer Smith.
Another very odd book, and well written. Two copies.
19. Heiro's Journey, Sterling Lanier.
Another wierd one. True dreck, but odd enough so you forgive it. Two copies
20. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Fannie Flagg.
This was Ms. Flaggs one moment of grace. Forget the movie, forget anything else she's written. Sorry, Fannie. Two copies.
21. The entire 'FOXFIRE' series, editor Elliot Wigginton. Finally read through my first set, looking for another. Pure gold.
22. The October Country, Ray Bradbury. 1970
My favorite collection by him. Three copies.
23. Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury. 1971. Five copies. Still excellent.
24. Dragons' Tears, Dean Koontz.
Nobody writes dogs like Koontz. Very likeable dreck.

Some that have dropped off the list.......
-Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury. A great book, a must read, 1970. I just finally read it enough, I guess. Went through four copies doing it.
-anything by Robert Heinlein. 1971. Heinlein was a babyraping perv. I'm boycotting him...like he cares; he's dead. Which makes me happy. But I did enjoy a lot of his books at one time. 2 copies of Stranger in a Strange Land.
-Image of the Beast, Phillip Jose Farmer, and Blown. *ahem* Speaking of perverted. But these I'd still read if I had a gun to my head; they're good. Sick, but good. Just not infinitely repeatable as it turns out. 2 copies.
-The Jewel of Seven Stars, Bram Stoker. Likeable, minor gothic egypt dreck.
-The Barbie Murders, John Varley. Collection. The incest got to ookin' me out.
-anything by Steven King except Night Shift. I find that once is just about enough with King as a general rule, but I will return to the Night Shift collection occasionally. If only King would exercise the discipline to keep himself down to short fiction.
-Birdie, William Wharton. Finally had my fill of it. Good book, though. 3 copies.

Please note; this is not a list of all my favorites, or all the best, even. Just the ones that provide a wonderful journey time after time.
I am the only person I have ever heard of who reads books to destruction like this.
If anyone would like to suggest a new title for the ListI would be more than grateful, and pleased as well.

7 comments:

  1. I like that you highly recommend books and have only read through maybe one or two copies. Show's the readability much? Eh... Moby Dick= Memorable start (Call me Ishmael. A few years ago, never mind how many, I set out with little or no coin in my pocket... I think.) One chapter of high seas adventure followed by windy charlatanic bull shit, but fun in it's own way.

    Anything by Enid Blyton is worth reading. When I was younger I got through three or four copies of most of her books, including some expensive forties one's of me mams. Now I read them and snigger at the Famous Five's sexuality. Go figure.

    I find To Kill A Mockingbird a nice concept, a good film, but impossible to read. And then there's Jasper Fforde. The Thursday Next books start with The Eyre Affair. Worth it. Also Robinson Crusoe, if you skip the god stuff. Treasure Island, antiquated lang. interesting read. Has the original pirate stereotype in. Mildly butchered by Disney in Treadure Planet.

    Whilst we're talking about swashbucklers, see if you can get hold of a copy of Bloody Jack by L A Meyer. Seventeenth century Cockney orphan girl leaves London disguised as a boy and joins the Navy. I liked it. Her accent swings between Deep South and Cockney though, which is vexing.

    Anyway, I read like a mofo and could carry on all day. Picture of Dorian Grey. Last thing I will say. And the James Bond books. Shut UP brain.










    Terry Pratchett's Discworld series start with colour of Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, i love "a boy's life" but had forgotten i had it.

    um, "the wind on the moon" by eric linklater. just plain weird. a childhood favourite that i recently bought again. i couldn't possibly begin to describe it to you, but it's fabulous.

    i am currently re-reading "bag of bones" my mr king. it's the best thing he's written in the last fifteen years. everything that came after it was rubbish, especially the sequel (ish) to the talisman that was horribly disappointing.

    ooh, the talisman! a good book, probably due to peter straub.

    ooh, floating dragon by peter straub!

    i don't do "proper" books. i can't be arsed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yo? did i read this right? you say i recommend books that i have ONLY read through 2 copies of'?
    are YOU takin' me ON?
    Outside. Now. Lets go.
    ....Holy Jesus. you're the only person i've ever spoken to who liked Moby Dick, even in part. but Picture of Dorian Gray? Robinson 'bore me to tears with descriptions of england' Crusoe? You like these?....hell, you READ these?
    I AM SO IMPRESSED! OH MY GOD!*snif* there IS hope for the future!
    you earned the right to disagree w/ me about 'Mockingbird'. even though you're wrong.
    You are thrilled. yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, we have such similar tastes, FN! I LOVE heinlein (even if he is a bastard, he was a fucking brilliant one) and Mockingbird. Can I make a few recommendations for your future reading enjoyment?

    Methuselah's Children and Time Engough For Love (in that order) by Heinlein (if you havn't read them already).

    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Keep Kleenex on hand. Only sci-fi novel to make me weep.

    Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. Classic for a reason.

    any books featuring the gentleman sleuth Peter Wimsey by Dorothy Sayers. The mysteries aren't as good as Conan Doyle's, but her charachters are amazing and her language is unmatched. As one critic deftly wrote, "Lord Peter is God could have done with men if only He'd had the money." Also contains one of the best romances in the history of English literature. Start with Strong Poison, then Murder Must Advertise and/or Have His Carcass (the latter being an annoying mystery, but includes some key developments in the romance subplot), then Guady Night (superb!), and finally Busman's Honeymoon, which breathtaking in it's expression of the human psyche and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great books. I can remember reading the LOTR lot when I was real young...they changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh come on. Oscar Wilde? The most famous poof and wit in the last 200 years? What's not to love? But anything before 1900 is disgustingly wordy. I give you Pride and Predu- Prejudice? Good book, practically unreadable. Wuthering Heights- yet again, good concept crap book, but unreadable. And oh help, what about Jules Verne and H G Wells and even William Shakespeare? I find Macbeth death on wheels to read, but on stage it's a bit good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant list! Some I've read and love and still love and will continue to love and read even though I practically know them by heart, some I've heard of but never read (and will now check out) and some I've never heard of (and will now check out!)so thank you. It's really difficult sometimes finding stuff to read...my (only new years resolution was to buy at least 5 new books - well I mean new as in being sold second hand on Amazon)

    May I tentatively offer as suggestions...

    The Once and Future king by TH White - just a wonderfully well written series, the first book is just lovely, the next ones are heartbreakingly beautiful.

    The Mint by TE Lawrence. What he did after all that stuff in the desert.. a quietly written restrained, perfect raindrop of a book.

    The Alexandria Quartet. Lawrence Durrell...it took me 2 goes to get this. But once I'd finished it the second time I immediately turned from the last page to the first and started all over again.

    (and if you're going to read the Alexandria Quartet then read "my family and other animals by his brother Gerald Durrell - because its just hilarious - esp when you know that the writer of the above book is the annoying older brother....)

    The Gormenghast Series - Mervyn Peake. People either love this or hate this...I love it. The language is sublime.

    Lark Rise to Candleford - Flora Thompson. This is a bit of a weird one. It's kind of a social history of a girl growing up in a small hamlet in the 1880's. I love it cos not only is it exquisitely written, it reminds me of the stories my great grandma told me when I was very very young about her going into service in a big house...its a comfy sunday afternoon sort of book if that makes any sense...

    Yeats. Any and all...

    Seamus Heaney - the same

    God there's loads more that I could suggest like but I better stop now...

    PS I'd add Audens translations of the Norse poems but after reading one of your other comments pages you've probably already read this.

    Anyway the real point of me commenting was the fact that I found it really interesting that you've put down Papillon. Apparently one of the hightlights of my boyfriends F christening is that his great uncle who was a friend of Papillions walked from Marseilles to his christening (a distance of about 30 miles) - despite the fact that he had a broken ankle at the time. (and to my shame I havent read the book - I'm going to go by it now...)

    ReplyDelete