Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sponge Green Lives Thrice!

Yesterday as I was finishing my gardening the Avon lady came by and gave me a chance to sit down and talk. She always brings me five or six different catalogues and they're always full of products I never use, but the woman herself is so likeable that I usually get a little something...anyway, for her part I think she just uses selling cosmetics as an excuse to go out and visit. I traded her two garden plants for a botle of Avon Volumizing shampoo. Thus we keep the alternative economy alive here in rural America.

People around town have been dropping hints lately about my annual plant sale. Which is a sale of perennial plants that I have, you know, once a year. I kind of wonder where they all were last year when exactly ONE person showed up? DESPITE my papering the town with signs AND telling all the local gossip ladies. Well, ha on them. Stupid bastards. That one person who showed up took away 3/4 of my stock for 25 cents on the dollar. Her poor husband kept rolling his eyes at me as he sweated and puffed back and forth to their motorhome, loaded down with foliage. I got rid of plants, she was glad; I was glad, and it's all profit. The pots are free and the plants are seedlings or divisions of things I already own. Why be greedy? I hate to throw a perfectly lively plant into the compost. So some nice lady got the beginnings of a very nice perennial border for an insane low price and I had money I didn't have before she pulled up.

We'll see what happens this year. I just finished freshening my stock for this years sale. I'm working a month late, but the good weather ought to bring them along nicely. They all look so good!

If I was placed in the position of having to choose just one gardening task to specialize in, this would be it. Maintaining potted stock is like the entire gardening experience distilled, minus the heavy digging (and being attacked by hummingbirds high on testosterone.) A perennial plant relies most of all on its root system and crown. Plants in containers quickly become root bound and must periodically be lifted. Those with a system of cable-like roots must be shaken free of most of the medium and the roots themselves cut away, sometimes at their length, sometimes by volume, like taking away a wedge of cake. These are the plants that will strangle themselves as the roots circle round and round looking for medium and eventually constrict their own nutrient uptake. Perennials that form fiberous systems-think of fibrefil batting, for example- are shaken to loosen the structure and then sliced down the length of the root ball, placed into a larger pot and then re-packed with fresh meduim, taking care to spread the root ball apart and press medium into the cut.

During al this hacking and gouging, you get to see the entire plant. I like to examine its various parts closely, and this is better done with something that isn't the size of a small car. You trim away old dead growth and prune for shape. You learn more about each plant as a whole, rather than relying on pictures in a book, and in this way you develop a 'feel' for each individual plant in it's seasons much more fully than you would otherwise.

I make my own medium, and this is another favorite job. I use my own compost, and my own garden soil. Now turning compost is a bitch, and sifting compost is tedious and dusty, but the end product outweighs the toil. It is beautiful stuff, and it smells WONDERFUL, like autumn. I remember carting out a wheelbarrow load to show my husband in the garage one day, shouldering my way through a pile of bikers, going 'Oh my God! You have GOT to look at this! This is bioactive as fuck! It's incredible!' and by God, they all agreed. Hint: it's amazing how you can get through a packed room if you're pushing a wheelbarrow full of squirming compost in front of you.

So, by making my own medium, I can tailor drainage and richness levels for the pot depending on the specific plant. Once in the ground, plants seem to find their own balance given a particular biome, but in pots it's best to take some pains. They aren't designed to be confined at that high a temperature, and they aren't meant to take all of their moisture and food from the public water supply. Even the healthiest perennial in a pot (unless it's a succulent) is already under a certain amount of stress, which means uptake of nutrients will increase, which means more water in the main.

And see, you thought I was just a scroungy broad pulling weeds.

20 comments:

  1. *blink* Yes?
    Good...
    *backs away, smiling, then turns tail and runs*
    Maw? Time to git out! Goddam neighbourhoods gone weird!
    Jesus. My idea of gardening is not to spit my gum on a plant.
    On the other hand, watch it with the bioactive slime. Dubya'll make you an extra spoke on the axis of evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandad (who seemed to live in his garden) taught me potting on when I was knee high. He had this rhyme that he told me I had to say as I gently tipped the pot upside down -being careful to hold the stem between my first two fingers, with the others spread over the top of the pot so that it was supported - and tapped the bottom of the pot gently.

    I still say it when I'm potting on my paltry collection of houseplants (tried to put stuff in the shared garden at the back of our flat but was met with complaints from the neighbours - apparently they like their borders uncluttered by plants). Never snapped a stem or ripped any main roots yet so it must work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. noshit: dub can go squat on his axis. i am already a WHOLE SIDE on the dodecahederon of evil.
    hendrix: i love that term, potting on. what's with your neibors? what a bunch of dickheads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HC: what's the rhyme?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not quite sure what happened there..but the comment was

    ..don't laugh...but it's...
    "pot pie lady 123
    catching fishes for my tea
    with a one and a two and three"

    (not exactly Tennyson but it does the job! and I was only about 5 - although I always wondered what a pot pie lady was? I used to think she wore a crinoline made from a plant pot -like one of those crotcheted toilet roll holders!)

    on three you ease the pot away from the plant leaving a perfectly plantpot shaped mound of soil - with the faintest traces of roots winding round it. Always used to seem like magic to me.

    He was one of these people who are born gardeners - everything grew for him, especially chrysanthemums (but only the white and bronze ones, he didn't like yellow chrysanths - we used to sit with a matchstick the day before a show and curl all the petals under so that they were perfect)and leeks which he also grew for shows (and leek pudding) until he got banned for winning too much! My grandmas house is pretty much furnished with the spoils from the leek shows. He never went on holiday in case people broke in to nobble his leeks - you'd be amazed how seriously people take leekshows in the north east!.

    oh dear I think I need a garden - the genes are beginning to break through!

    and yes. My neighbours are complete dickheads...

    ReplyDelete
  7. God,what a nice post. My family are gardeners all the way, and just reading this makes me wonder why I gave up. I know why, I was too busy, but it's calling me back.
    How nice to read some really good stuff coming out of the US of A - it's really easy to start thinking that your country is a complete bunch of assholes - I know it's not! Compost in rural America, Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leek nobbling - a dying art. Aren't leeks wonderful? Think I like chopping them as much as eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those earthy smells too. And now if you'll excuse me, if I don't push myself away from this computer, I'm in danger of becoming rootbound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cb: thanks for asking! now I have the secret british potting spell!
    hendrix: i love the way you describe this. I wish they took things that seriously here...all we have is the county fair once a year and only the older people and the hippies pay much attention to the vegetable competition...and it's still nothing like it is over on your side of the pond *sigh*
    I grow leeks, too. How do I know when they've been nobbled? do they blush or something?
    tom: welcome! and most americans are assholes. being a NATIVE american means that i am particularly good at it. keep an eye on your dog. i have recipes.
    arabella: leeks are just plain nice. Leek and potato soup is heaven by the bowlful.
    mj: go up to a bigger pot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A another lovely post FN, for some reason I only thought we had leeks in the UK *doh* - agreed Leek & Potato soup is the food of the gods. Unfortunaely I only have a smallish garden but enjoy it. Do you grow many vegetables? The only thing I grew from seed last year was two mj plants. Overgrow the Government!

    ReplyDelete
  12. frob: power to the peoples weed!
    This year I'm concentrating on the goonybird, though i still may put in some tomatoes (fruit of the gods). usually i grow tomatoes, bell peppers, leeks, potatoes, beans, peas, garlic, asparagus (will be ready next year!!) strawberries, blueberries and all herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Why.
    Why do I not live near enough to partake in the practically free perennials?

    Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never figured you for a gardener. That's great.
    I love playing in the dirt too.

    I gave you the letter Y if you're still interested buddy!

    Have a great weekend. :-)
    You have reminded me, I need to go prep my flower beds and pull some weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Frobisher - so did I so you aren't alone in the doh factor!

    FN. YOu know when your leeks have been nobbled cos someone breaks into your garden and slashes all of them down to the ground!

    Great mix of veg there! Do you grow Thyme and Coriander? - I just can't get those two to take (in my kitchen windowsill garden) Tomatoes I've got on the computer room windowsill - the dwarf tumbling cherry variety, great (if late) croppers although they never make it into the kitchen as we eat them straight off the plant as soon as they ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skooting off a bit here - I once went to an exhibition of perfume bottles; gorgeous Faberge pieces etc but some of the lovliest were Avon. Dreamy. Enough to make one go out and buy a powder puff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:51 AM

    Will you honour another request please?

    Another bible story but that of Noah after the flood. The adult ending children never get to hear.

    Please ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My hydroponic seedlings are maturing nicely.

    I find that singing lullabies to them encourages the growth of their little leaves.

    I don't need to sell them. Then again, I don't need to buy either.

    Nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. whinger: oh, dont feel bad! you're zone 6-7 so not much I have would grow where you are.
    Kyah: oh hey! the more gardeners the better!
    hendrix: thyme and coriander like it a little on the sweet (lime)side. and yes, i do grow them. had to make a special bed because we're on the sour side here.
    arabella: wanna know something strange? when we go to swap meets, the people who collect avon bottles are MEN.
    anon: if you ask me without being anonymous, i will.
    garfy; why you dog, you! right on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:23 AM

    That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

    ReplyDelete