Sunday, February 05, 2006

BUT I LIKE IT and you have to too.

So I'm driving down the road, the rain and wind rocking my little beater car, and I'm listening to the radio, when what to my wondering ears did appear, but jolly Led Zeppelin playing Whole Lotta Love, and eight tiny reindeer.
Forget everything ever written about how lame and sad it is to listen to the music you liked your senior year- I was 17 again.

And I was ROCKIN THE FUCK OUT.

I pulled up into the parking lot of the store and parked, and I'm still showing John Bonham how its done, man, I'm singing, I'm playing air guitar, and I look up and another car has parked next to me, and the passenger is looking at me with the white showing all the way around her eyes.

'Aw, you poor thing', I thought, 'You probably feel bad because you want to listen to the nice music too.'
So I turned it up.

I have a good stereo. If you'd walked by my little car you'd have seen it was probably whoomping in and out like a paper bag on a hysterics' face. But hey-it was Zep. You understand.

And that is the point, after all-it was Zep. Some things transcend time and fashion. Led Zeppelin is one of those things. Another one is Jimmi Hendrix. In particular, the recording titled 'Hendrix Live'.

I've pillaged and burned my way through TWO MOTHERFUCKING vinyl copies of 'Hendrix Live' and one cd so far. Everyone knows Hendrix is best enjoyed at the 'Ears bleed; small animals die' setting, right? RIGHT.

Nothings changed now that I live out in the country. When the neigbors' cows start giving paisley milk, thats when Hendrix is being played at the right volume. And seriously, it is my job, nay, my responsibility, being a former resident of civilization, to bring culture to these poor toiling rural proles. And what better way, I ask you?


When I lived in Portland Oregon I had a third story apt. at the top of Hall Street (1984 was the address; is that not cool?) I'd get up early Saturday morning, crack a beer, fire up a joint, face my speakers out the window and blast Hendrix' 'StarSpangled Banner' straight down 5th Avenue into downtown, baby. Damn, you could hear those notes rising and bouncing off the buildings and echoing down the streets all the way past Burnside and trailiing off into the distance, and man, it was BEAUTIFUL! All over town, you could hear people doing concert screams. Bums would wave up at me. College kids would start rocking out on the sidewalk. Man, it was fucking glorious.

So if you lived in Portland during the 70's, that was me, and you're welcome.

That was also me on 9th and Pine.
And Republican and Queen Anne in Seattle.


And driving through Wenatchee a couple of years ago.

4 comments:

  1. Woa. A Led Zep granny. I like Black Dog. And my Dad reckons he should have called me and the Idiot Sister Planty and Pagey. I told him I couldn't take the pressure of living up to the names...
    Do you mosh? OMG! If you moshed that would make my day. Ehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>whoomping like a paper bag on a hysterics' face

    *cackles*

    i saw page and plant at glastonbury in 1995 when they did the whole moroccan orchestra thing - 90 degrees in the shade and they gave me goosebumps. bloody marvellous. they don't make 'em like that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have. long, long ago. moshing is an involuntary reaction to the unbearable pain caused by small time punk rock. Black Dog!*shoots horns, thrashes hair violently*

    surlygirl, send me a vial of your blood. YOU SAW THEM LIVE????????
    page went to the CROSSROADS for that voice. but i see im preaching to the choir. excellent taste, all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. not the whole of zeppelin, it was the "unledded" (do you see what they did there?) thing. ol' planty can still get a girl's knickers damp at forty paces with that voice. brr. the whole thing was fucking marvellous. i loved glastonbury, me. just loved it. now it's all braying estate agents and trustafarians and i'm sure if i went back i'd hate it.

    ReplyDelete