Thursday, March 30, 2006

oo! i have the b manuscript too!

While some are born to serve the Lord and, some are born to battle, I am born to garden. That is my vocation. I'd say I have a green thumb, but that doesn't go nearly far enough and could lead to a series of unfortunate but tempting analogies concerning green body parts. Still, if I lived in a climate that permitted it, I would garden all year and live outdoors, right smack dab in the middle of it all in one of those southwest chikee hut things (with plumbing.) In total abject poverty, gnawing on a carrot and starving for want of food with a face, but doing so in the middle of a bitchin stand of delphinium x var. chinensis 'Blue Mirror'.

Yes, this could very easily become a gardening blog for the next few months. I'm making no promises. I'm already guilty of referring to plants by their botanical names in casual conversation, which I know annoys non-gardeners to tears. But they roll off the tongue so mellifluously! hemerocallis lillioasphoedelus! lonicera japonica! papaver betonicafolia! plus you can Google:Image the name and see exactly what I'm talking about better than if I said ditchlilly, honeyjasmine, poppy.

Now, after all that having been said, I have to admit that lately I have been doing just about zero in the garden. Yeah, after spending all winter bitching about how I just HAD to get outside or I'd go nuts.

Last year I put gardening to one side because we were all busy rearranging our lives around the new addition, Mr. Goonybird. And lets be honest- its more fun to play with a sweet dumpling baby than it is to turn compost, though some of the aromas produced are similar.
This spring I am paying for that. Bigtime. Oh hell yeah, bigtime...I put on 20 lbs right off the bat because I kept eating like I was digging ditches when all I was doing was gazing in adoration at the sweet baby. While chomping on a burrito.

So this spring I look out onto beds where last years cobby old stems are still nodding. Grass is growing in lush hummocks out of the middle of my groundcovers. The HENBIT OF DOOM is still there, laughing, mocking me, despite it being exactly the right time to yank it out and stomp it and set it on fire and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh

So today, while the 'bird is napping, I will go outside and do some long-overdue housekeeping. I promise.
(update2:30pm .....and i did, too. yay!)


Now a little blog housekeeping.
Check my link. If I submitted it, I may very well have put in the wrong url. It's supposed to be
1hplovecraft.blogspot.com
Thanks to Piggy for the headsup!

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Love gardening. Love it. There are really few things as satisfying as having a meal composed of things grown in the yard.

    Sigh. Faster, summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are not lying. rapture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one. Not much of a gardener myself. I'll be the only one in suburbia with a hellish garden full of dandelions vexing the hell out the neighbours.
    I might keep pot plants if I live in a flat though. And a cat. See, cats are bad for the garden. They shit in the dahlias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, but they also eat the mice and the voles that ring bark the fruit trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent my whole time at home absolutely refusing to help mum in the garden and refusing even to venture out into the damn thing. But, there's obviously no escaping the genetic imperative and for the past few months all I have wanted to do is double dig and weed and plant and have a compost heap and grow vegtables and lean on my spade and gaze around me with a calm and proprietal air. I now spend hours looking through seed catalogues and scrolling through garden websites deciding what to buy.

    All I need now is a garden...

    ReplyDelete
  6. noshit: kitties eat ganja! you will come home to a giggling cat listening to bob marley and a pot with a bare stem in it! (voice of experience)
    cb: true. if only they wouldn't subsequently barf them up on the porch.
    hendrix: jump in! my first garden was a 2ft strip of dirt running the length of a rental house. dont fight it. come. become one of us. joooooooooooooooooin uuuuuuuuuus....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just last week I was reading a book of botanical names. Please continue. I, for one, won't be bored. Although I actually do more reading about gardening than the actual gardening itself. Kind of like looking at the pictures in cookbooks but never trying out any of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mj: thats how it starts. its insidious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my... for some reason, digging around in the dirt sounds appetizing today. Perhaps I'll bundle up and venture to the neighbor's garden while they're at work... hehehe.

    or just muddle around in my mother's perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:16 AM

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

    ReplyDelete