Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Evil Blue Buffalo Sets A Trap

My father-in-law, The playboy of the western world is coming home from the nursing facility today. I found a qualified caregiver who suits him, and that was a huge victory, let me tell you. And I did it all myself! Dang!

Spoiling this victory somewhat is that the final decision was put off until the last possible minute, so now I can't get ahold of the woman, and somebody else had to volunteer for Playboy-sitting duty as a result.

Between the yummy biker and his father you have a condition of avoidance that rivals the effect of heroin. Now I don't mean to say that these are inneffectual men; that they are most certainly not. What it is , is they both come from that german school of 'discussing money is not very nice.' Similarly, needing assistance in making important decisions is also not very nice and constitutes an imposition, and rather fall down a flight of stairs and starve to death in pain rather than impose, oh my God.

Now, I do not have this problem with the Playboy. We talk, and I make repeated stabs at the issue in question until I get a solid yes or no answer, then I make arrangements. When my husband or any of the Playboys' older buddies get in on the issue it becomes something on the order of the Marriage of fucking Figaro-four hours of yodelling with nothing to show for it but a sore ass. (That came out wrong but I'm leaving it in.) There were five people in on the interview of the caregiver, for example. Me, the yummy biker, the estate administrator, some painter guy with a tupperware container full of cheese that he kept passing around, and the playboy of the western world. and two orderlies who kept popping in to flirt. and the playboy's roomate, a drooly man in a wheelchair who watched these proceedings with evident amusement. and various nurses aides.

Yeah.

I gave up and let the poor woman take it all in, because it certainly represented a Taste of Things to Come. To her credit, she held up well. Of course now that doesn't matter because she could be in freaking Istanbul weaving goat fur into MiG parts or something for all I know.
But goddammit, I did my part. And I did it exceedingly well.

Some years ago this would have infuriated me, and I would have gone off on multiple rants about MEN and RESPONSIBILITY and THINGS ARE ONLY MADE WORSE THE LONGER YOU DITHER and like that. And I would have leapt right into the middle of this situation with full combat gear and the pin of a grenade clenched between my lovely straight teeth and TAKEN OVER FOR THESE INCOMPETENTS and FIXED EVERYTHING. And done it well, and pissed everyone off.

But you know what? Fuck 'em. There aren't any issues of diminished capacity here. I've done my part. If the playboy of the western world wants to die halfway between the dvd player and the couch with a copy of 'Back Entrance, Please' clutched in his hand because he forgot once again that he can't stand up fast, well thats his damn choice.

Yes, I'm worried. That never stops.





UPDATE!!
a super secret eyes only private message for frobisher:
regardez your email......
this could be the start of something big, baby.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 AM

    My grandpa was like that, but also enjoyed tossing in some nice Catholic guilt.

    He wouldn't impose upon us, but if we did not press the matter, then we must not care.

    Best wishes for his health and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Power of Attorney asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worry never stops. But it sounds like you've done all you can do (that didn't mean to sound as offhand as it seemed to type!) and sometimes you've got to let go and let people get on with things even if you could (and you can) do it better.

    I got my fingers crossed for it all to work out...and at least you don't have the catholic guilt trip landed on you too..(I hope)

    ReplyDelete
  4. whinger: thank god, no. boy, do i know what you're talking about, though!!!! and thanks!
    frobi: in the works even as we speak.
    hendrix: yup. and thanks. no, with this guy its all guts-ball. 'i can and i will, goddammit', is his way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yipes and good luck to you. My ultra-Italian, straight off the boat uncles are exactly as you described. It ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Damn you look good. Mamma needs lovin'

    gonna spend weekend looking for suitable pic replies

    Mhahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh secret coded messages to frobisher...I would like to have a copy of 'Mamouth Hooters' clutched in my mit when I go.
    I have just ben watching the history chanel...they said 'Homo erectus', I am sad to say I am still sniggering.

    Well done for hanging back FN , you can always go all GI Jane at a later date

    ReplyDelete
  8. christine: welcome! tell you what, though, it beats the alternative.
    frob: you cannot resist my chubby fu.
    beast: mammoths had hooters? dang, palentology is funner than i thot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, like Hendrix says, you done all you can, and you can't do more than that. Anyways, you rock, and you can only look after him so much. After that it's really up to him. (that didn't mean to come out so uncaring, type is alot worse than the human voice when it comes to emoting. I feel like a goddamn Vulcan or something...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your "let them screw it up and hopefully notice the cause & effect relationship" attitude.

    Also, that picture at the bottom is of me and my firstborn at my eighth wedding... or maybe it's of me and my 9th husband... hmmm.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete