Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Cursed Orange Ant's Challenge Of Death


Oh lordy my garden is a disaster area. Its a mess. I cannot believe it.
One year of partial neglect is all it took and I've got freaking giant buttercups with crowns as big around as my wrist everywhere.

Val, the woman with the most gorgeous garden in town stopped by the other day and wanted to take a wander around, so we did, and I was appalled, and so was she. We are good enough friends that there isn't any competition, but she's a woman that knows her stuff. Her yard should be in a gardening book; its that gorgeous and tasteful. And here's mine with last years' old stems all sticking up and tufts of grass like discarded fright wigs all over the place.
Time for Danger Muk to spring into action.

I did my first real mowing of the year yesterday. This means that after a few high mowings I finally set the deck down and give the grass a good shearing. That leaves a lot of raking to be done; fine. (Thats the only raking it will get until probably late June-I mulch.) Then I started in weeding my largest streetside front bed. Oh Christ. Monster dandelions and canary grass and aw fuck, y'all.

I decided to run the mower over this stuff so that I could rake it all up together and put it all into the compost immediately and not have to worry about having it grow.
Which stalled out the mower. Repeatedly.
There I was fighting with the mower in front of God and everyone as the manure tankers went blasting past, cursing at the mower, tugging on the mower, cleaning out the chute, running the starter, dicking with the choke, getting covered with green yechh, this is such a genteel and ladylike hobby; gardening.

Another thing I noticed ( as did half the rural population of Whatcom County) is that there parts of me in vigorous jiggerous action as the mower chugs along that hithero have not been. I hesitate to imagine what this much look like as I whiz around my bumpy yard on the second highest speed setting. I've always been bountifully boobed...but I've never had those flubby hip dojobbies before and I've never had a bottom at all. It's always been a straight run down the back from the shoulderblades to the calves. Now, suddenly, I have an ass. And it feels STRANGE. It wibbles. I have never felt this before. I keep stopping in the supermarket and looking around like a farting dog.

Am I painting too vivid a picture here?

Well, nothing is going to get the lard off me like gardening will, and I'll get a tan, too.
So thats my weekend all lined out.

16 comments:

  1. Aw... It so could have been worse. Wait... I'll think of something... A giant snake could have come up and bopped you one. Hah, see? Knew I could.
    I'm sure you'll work it all off hen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, i hope so.
    all we have here are friendly harmless little snakes. birds the size of pterodactyls; but just bitty snakies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do tasteful. Better, I think, to have a garden that looks lived in. And here's to your bouncing booty. T&A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has that baby got cellulite?

    SNAKES! good god I'd shit myself if I saw a snake. Are they rattlers?
    *remembers all those westerns as a kid*

    ReplyDelete
  5. mj: disco dj Sheik Djerbouti! it looks like he's been shakin it all over my garden.
    frobi: his godfather calls him HR Rumplebutt! thats the northbound end of a southbound goonybird.
    and yes...we have thousands of huge, honkin, dangerous flying rattlesnakes with fricken lasers. really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any idea where your bum suddenly came from? I ask because I've often what caused mine to disappear, overnight seemingly. Looked in the mirror one morning in my forties and there it wasn't.
    Could you any chance be wearing my bum?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left this behind (ouch):
    "wondered".

    ReplyDelete
  8. And this: "by".
    Guess who's late for work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have agarden designed by Mr C.
    Its a frollicksome fantasy in foilage and no mistake....and the centre peace is a big fuck off water feature thats all lit up at night....its like Las Vegas without the hookers...(well mostly).I now have a vision of FN wobbling round the garden like some supercharged horticultural Dolly Parton.
    Dont destroy my fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ara: get some caffeine in ya. breeeeeathe...there. now.
    honey, if this is your bum you are welcome to it. i feel like i'm being followed around by an overly friendly pair of jellyfish.
    beast: and it's all natural and still pointing dead north, baby.
    post pix of your garden? please? you show me yours and i'll show you mine. hm? eh? wink wink? eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. >> i keep stopping in the supermarket and looking round like a farting dog<<

    genius.

    ReplyDelete
  12. let me get this straight: all your life you've had huge boobs but no jiggly thighs or ass? darlin', you don't get to complain. you've just finally joined the rest of the female civilization. welcome to my world!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No. I don't recognize my bum in the description you give. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's A.R. Rumplebutt. You know, because his initials are A.R. ...yeah. Some gran you are!

    ..and yes, that's totally cellulite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a similar experience a few years back. My ass was moving around, and it pissed me off more than anything could. So that's how the biking rampage started...

    Anyways, gardening is meant to be a personal hell turned into beauty. Every year, my mother gets increasingly ridiculous amounts of mulch. One year we decided to scrape to the bottom of the front yard garden to see where the dirt began and the mulch ended. FIVE INCHES!! And that's pre-mulching! I hope the weed killing goes well. Best of luck with the mulching!

    Oh, but FYI, if the weeds should make it to the surface again, know that it's because plants respond to gravity, rather than light when given a choice between the two. Believe me. I conducted an experiment, and gravity just wanted it more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:37 PM

    Best regards from NY! » »

    ReplyDelete