Thursday, May 11, 2006

two storms

One of my early memories is of standing in front of the bedroom window looking out at a storm. I was jumping up and down and shouting and laughing. There was a mature english walnut tree in the backyard just in front of me. The wind was twisting and tossing it around like a mop, branches were breaking off and flying away. Then suddenly the whole scene shifts upwards, like the view from a banking airplane, and then recedes...and the venetian blind on the window blasts inwards, followed by glass and curtains and leaves.
This was the Columbus Day storm. It happened in 1962. I was fine.

A heavy, sodden heatwave had been sitting in the Willammette Valley, stinking of smoke and pulp mills. It was August of1968. In the evenings we would sit out under the apple trees at my grandmothers house until way late...in fact, the entire neiborhood used to ramble around on nights like this, smoking and talking, kids riding their bikes, until the early chill fell and made it possible to catch a couple of hours of sleep.
One night the stillness broke and a wind came up and flowed out over the grass in the yard, smoothing it down in a long wave. All the adults looked at each other with smiles, because they knew that there was rain coming soon. They gathered up all the lawn chairs and ashtrays and beer bottles and headed back inside to open all the windows and doors and wait.
I was looking out my bedroom window when a sudden burst of light lit up the dark. It was completely silent. It made me catch my breath and freeze, waiting for a blast, but it never happened.
" Heat lightning," my parents said. I ran from window to window to catch it going off.
People began to come back out onto the street to watch. At first it was flashes of radiance that seemed to come from the entire sky at once, then it resolved in the west as snakes of lightning that travelled across the banked clouds with the eerie deliberation of a spark travelling up a Jacobs ladder. All in silence.
" I want to go up on the rooof of the barn", I said. This was a small one-cow shed with a flat sloping roof in our back yard. My parents agreed, making me promise to come in if the rain started or the lightning began to strike the ground.
From the roof of the barn I could see over the neiborhood treetops. I had the entire sky to myself. Everyone else had gone in.
Incredible dancing ribbons of electricity snaked across the clouds, from one side of the horizon to the other. Some fanned out in their termination like a map of an electric Nile in the sky. Some streaks ran like morse code, intermittent, or a rock skipping on a pond. All in silence. A carnival green light filled whole clouds, reds like faded christmas bulbs, canary yellows, easter blues.
The wind moved this mute storm right over where I lay on the shingles. The clouds were low and fat, and when it was directly overhead all the small fine hairs on my arms and face tingled up in a brush. It smelled like morning. Giant broad bolts of lightening like oak trees washed down a fast river current moved across the air directly above me. It sounded faint, like holiday paper burning in the fireplace.
I rolled down off the roof and went inside, brushing off the crumbs from the shingles. The rain hit the glass door behind me in a solid sheet the instant that it shut. It rained like all the ocean pouring onto the roof of the house for the rest of the night, and I laid in bed and listened to it.

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:44 PM

    I got goose bumps reading this.

    I love the smell of a lightning storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whinger: dang, you're quick! I just threw that up there!
    I can smell it now...theres a storm down the valley from me and the winds blowing hints of it up my way. thats what brought this to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh very evocative....I love a good storm , i once saws ball lightning rolling along some electricity wires , its was one of the strangest things I have ever seen.
    I feel like I want to go and snuggle up in bed now , like I used to when I was a kid on a stormy night

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was wonderful.

    I love lightning and wind storms. ahh...summer is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the thunderstorms of Ontario, back east. Just one of the many reasons why I want to move back. I used to lie outside on the front porch at night waiting for them to roll in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beast: that is so damn cool. I have always wanted to see ball lightning!
    christine: it needs to hurry!!
    mj: thats big country. the storms must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there! Wonderful post FN. Thank you. It's been years since I've seen a good storm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serious subject: Growing up in the South (U.S.), we were blessed with many violent thunderstorms in the springtime and again in the fall. I used to love sitting on my front porch with my family watching the light show. Awesome power that nature is.

    More light-hearted: I was in DC in 1998 when Hurricane (then a tropical storm) Floyd plowed through. I was outside trying to light a cigarette, because they wouldn't let us in the parking garage...

    ReplyDelete
  9. handrix: thank you, my darling.
    natemare: welcome welcome! see, thats what you get for smoking.......says the former 4 pack a day black lung diva.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've just had some storms here in Brizzle that inspired me to write a post about my childhood thunderboomers. Would you mind terribly if I went ahead and posted it? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loved thunder as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CB: good gravy marie, woman, don't let me stop you! knock yerself out!
    give the new statue a little kiss from me, 'k?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah yes...but which bit?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful descriptions. Thankyou for the welcome...

    I wish we had more dramatic storms over here in England. I'd love to see something really atmospheric and surprising instead of the usual London rain showers, limp-wristed and poor in comparison to your descriptions...thankyou for this. Made me long to get out in the storm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. hendrix: oh darling, please. whatever comes naturally. take that as you will.

    betty, who does not have the brain of a duck: you better find out where chaucers bitch lives then because its goin on hammer and tongs over there, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great description. I love a good storm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. America does do weather in a big way - one of the things I find interesting living here now. And you write about it spendidly.
    I got very wet in Leeds once.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful, well written blog there FN. Betty is right we don't get many extreme storms in England, just a drizzle of rain mostly and a few rumbles of thunder. I love them, the charged ions get the adrenaline going.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There was a storm here last night. I was watching the whole thing out of the window and then I remembered I had to go out.

    Not much fun, but the rain had died down by this point.

    Very good post, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. kyah: hey, you're in BIG storm country, aren't you?
    arabella: thank you! sorry about leeds. not that it was my fault (i think)
    frobi: you're a sweet ratty; thank you. yeah, it always feels anticipatory, somehow.
    billy: welcome! run between the drops, as my grandmother used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes, big sky, big storms!

    ReplyDelete