Friday, July 28, 2006

goodbye, refries, goodbye

In case you missed it, go here: http://www.hendrixcat.com/
thats her new url, so update your blogroll (do as i say, not as i do...yeah, yeah.)

Well, I have diabetes. Barely, but there ya go.
I don't doubt it for a moment. I was expecting this. The way I've been eating for the last 20 years? Shit, yes.
I do not regret one single moment.
No I don't.

What will I miss most?
Mostly, I will miss not having to worry.

I tell you what, though, I am not going to go around all penitential eating fucking ry-krisps and smacking myself in the head with a board. Food is a celebration and I damn well intend to see that it stays that way.

I'm going to have to learn a whole new repetoire of staple recipes. After all, the ones I have in my head now are what got me to this place! Does anybody have any suggestions for diabetic cookbooks? Particularly with Mexican and Italian recipes? Is there such a thing as a diabetes cookbook put out by a master chef? Jesus, if there is, let me know. I don't care if it's complicated; I can do complicated.

I got myself into this place; I'll damn well get myself out of it.


Because of the heat, I had to take the clippers and shave my poor girldog the other day. Poor wooly sheepie! She has Labrador retriever blood back there in the woodpile someplace so she has an undercoat like felt and a long topcoat to boot. I swear I don't know how one small animal could have so much hair. It was appalling! Now she feels better, though. Looks smaller, too. Lots smaller. And guess what; I'm not done yet. Oh yeah, I'm gonna be her BEST FRIEND.

We are gradually getting the Playboy of the Western World moved in to his new place. Thank God the man was not a packrat. Still, there are a lot of small things that he thought were special, and they are all sitting here in my house now, *sigh* waiting to be boxed up, and eventually donated.
Now goddammit, this is sad. I don't like any of it. Neither does the Yummy Biker. None of it is particularly valuable either, but it's not exactly crap...what it is, mainly, are trinkets he picked up in Greece, or things he saved from when his mothers house caught on fire years ago. Mismatched cups and saucers, figurines, glasses, things like that. I hate boxing it up and then having to lie to him about where the stuff is. But we will.*
Fortunately all his buddies have been given first crack at the large furnishings. Have at, gentlemen! When we finally throw open the doors to the relatives they're going to be rather puzzled by all the empty carpet. I DO hope someone gets shitty with me; I've been spoiling for a fight. Probably won't happen.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty nice statement about the family, isn't it?





*The Yummy Bikers' mother had rather regrettable tastes in her younger years. Her worst judgment, beside marrying the same man three times and a gay man the fourth, was the purchase of the infamous Chicken Dishes. You'd honestly hesitate to put food on them. They're glazed this really odd, mustard-diaper color that's speckled with gnats or pepper or birdshot or something...and smack in the center of each is a huge picture of what can only be described as a gravely psychotic chicken. Each one hefts approximately the same as a boat anchor. She passed them on to us. Gee, thanks. And she always asks about them. "Do you still have those dishes?" and we nod and smile real big. "Well, are you ever gonna use them?" Not even on a dare, honey. We have them stored safely away from young children and the nervous, waiting to be thrown into Bellingham Bay the instant you go to your reward. In fact I may arrange for the hospital to call me. Until then, they're packed away, and we lie.

27 comments:

  1. Boo on the diabetes. I'd be willing to bet that with a little work and understanding of diabetes you'd be able to rework most of your favorite recipes to be more diabetic friendly.

    One of my best friends has Type I diabetes, and hell if she doesn't eat brownie batter for dinner once a week, and yet she's still doing really well.

    And on the Playboy...I'm glad things are going well for him...and I'd almost be tempted to display such hideous plates if only to show that they someone actually decided to produce them.

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Perhaps if you put all bad-for-you food on the dishes? You'd learn to hate the bad food.

    Sorry about the 'betes, but am loving your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the diabetes is a shitter, but your attitude is ace.

    Heirlooms are hilarious aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama mia - here you go.

    http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read,4,4281.html

    Sorry to hear your news but you but sound like you are already handling it brilliantly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you good health - it's scary having these diet decisions made for you. But I thik in an odd way it may have been in the back of your head and once you get this under control, then your not worrying can really begin. It made sense in my head. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for recipes. Best to you and the Playboy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of your pending news FN. No fun for sure. My mother (Irish Catholic to the bone) would respond, "At least you have both your arms and legs."
    Hope that helped.
    I got diagnosed with some seiously high blood pressure this spring. Handling food I am told is not the issue...it is handling stress. Talk about a life rehaul in process. I've decided I need to curse way more.
    Taking care of the body in one's forties.
    FUUUUUUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should come grocery shopping with your daughter. Because where she lives, there are very few rotund dutch folk. There are loads and loads of very tan and very trim yuppie/hippie types where Gooneybird and SSA live.
    Go to farmer's market. Eat more avocadoes (they apparently battle diabetes and are SSA's favorite fruit). Eat more raw foods because your body has to work a lot less to get what it needs out of it. Eat less pork and red meat. Eat more tomatoes. NO MORE FREEZER BURRITOS, CHAMPAGNE OF BEERS, OR HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK. NONE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. christine: sigh. brownie batter. i'm not that bad, but still, ya just had to bring up brownies, didn't ya?!-plates: too scary. maybe at a poultry processing facility...
    whinger: that would be a terrible thing to do to innocent burritoes!*clutches burritoes of innocence to ample bosom*
    krusty: swear to god i am not doing this to my kid. if she wants the plastic dugong and the shriner statuette, well and good. if not, heave'em.
    roskmother: thank you thankyou for the link SIR! :)
    ga; and thank you. let me eat out of your refrigerator. yeah, I still remember that post!
    mutha: swear more and dig holes. wonderful for the upper body and the victims bodies, too.
    neur: i know. oo, i get avacadoes? well! that rocks! remember when you wouldn't touch one?
    my burritoes. mineminemineminemine.
    back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what ry-krisps are but they sound very dry. Please don't eat them.
    So, you're being warned off the champers? Pull the plug in the tub right now, lady!
    Here's to great new discoveries in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always online looking at recipes. One of my pasttimes other than blogging and the Sims.

    Here's a site you might want to check out...just because you have diabetes doesn't mean you have to eat crap. Kudos to you for loving food. I do too.

    http://diabeticgourmet.com/

    And they have mexican recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about the dx. It's going to be tough for a while, and for a food lover having to be fussy about eating is a real indignity. On the other hand you'll have a much easier and tastier ride than the heat&eaters. I've an idea it's possible to barter with the diet so you can still have wicked treats.

    Apparently the glycaemic index helps a lot in managing diabetes. www.glycemicindex.com is a good place to start.

    The good news is that special diets are now a boom industry, so there's no shortage of recipe books. The bad news is you'll have to sort through a lot of cheerfully worthy texts to find the outrageously hedonistic ones - but they're there. In no time you'll be itching to write one yourself.

    Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude. Sucks about the diabetes, but the peeps are right: you're coping attitude is a model of how to be!

    Check out a dude named Graham Kerr. Gourmet chef, used to have this show back in the 70s called The Galloping Gourmet or something (nosh of wine in the pan, 2 in the mouth, etc., by the end of the show he was 3 sheets to the wind), then he got on a health kick and started searching for ways to make all his famous recipes but with a fraction of the fat and cals. He's got a new TV show now and about a dozen cookbooks. Take a peek at Gwww.grahamkerr.com
    Good luck, my love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A pox on diabetes madam.
    Bugger thats not great news but at least your not Belgian !!! and peeing on keto stick can be FUN.
    Save those chicken plates they will probably sell on EBAY for a fortune , especially if you make up some chicken curse mularkey.
    A friend of mine with typ 1 diabetes had to take part in one of the medical trails where he was supposed to be on a specific diet and had to keep a food diary , they would regularly monitor his blood sugar and insuline intake.
    the dairy would say he had a little skinless chicken and lightly steamed broccoli , in reality he had been out for a gut busting curry and 26 pints of beer , I am sure he set diabetic research back by about 20 years , they are probably still puzzling as to how his body was manufacturing alchohol

    ReplyDelete
  14. ara; they are a type of roofing shingle made with rye and LOVE.
    awaiting: baby, THANK YOU! you are a doll! that saves me a lot of surfing, chickie!XOOO
    mudlark: and thank you too! thats gonna come in handy. we had a handout that got wore to shreds.
    cb: you are so not going to believe this but Graham Kerr taught me to cook! yes he did! i used to watch his show and take notes and then make the food (1968) i remember his 'a little red wine, just a slosh...*glugglugglugglugglug...*' and then he'd take a slash right out of the neck. no kidding he'd be three sheets to the wind; he'd be running the damn ship onto the shoals with the wind at his back. i will SO check him out! you are a wonder! *jumping up and down like a spaz*
    beast; funny you should mention ebay, we've thought about that. then again, they're far too ugly to unleash on an unsuspecting world.
    the test guy cracks me up. his must have been the only blood sample effervescing in the tube!
    yes, thank GOD...anything but a BELGIE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping that some of the above suggestions help you find some tasty treats. Since I have no experience with this,I have nothing to offer but my wishes for a lifetime of continued good eating. I know you'll find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to see pictures of the Chicken Dishes.

    POST THEM NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooh yes PICTURES....good thinking frobi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marrying the same man three times? That kind of indicates a misguided determination on the Yummy Biker's mummy's part bordering on the perverse. Send her my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wasn't that a pic of Audie Murphy?

    You could try some diabetic chocolates, but I wouldn't if I were you.

    Eat what you want, in lesser amounts, and you'll be fine.*

    * insensitive bastard

    ReplyDelete
  20. mj: thanks. i hope they do, too, tell ya what.
    frobi:the world is not now and never will be ready for the awesome evil power of the Chicken Dishes. besides the box is TAPED SHUT. imagine a multicolered rooser having a psychotic episode with attendant uncontrolled violent behavior in a full diaper.
    beat: don't you egg him on. damn kids.
    wyndham: much can be accomplished through grim determination and a liberal splash of vodka in the coffee once every 20 m.
    garfy: basically thats what i'm doing right now, until i get to the nutritionist.
    that was not audie murphy; that was the Playboy of the Western World when he was but a young and tender lad of 16; so pinchable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am mad at diabetes. Diabetes does not play fair, and cannot come to my party.

    You take care of yourself, you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think the The Playboy looks a bit like Danny Kaye.
    Another fine person to introduce to the Goonybird?
    I wish I had a Goonybird.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:35 AM

    Diabetes? Bugger. But the Glycemic Index Cookbook is a really good place to start and everyone else is right - you will be able to adjust all your favourite recipes so that they're diabetes friendly.

    At the risk of sounding like a complete health freak - try juicing. Vegtable juice gets strangely addictive and Leslie Kentons book is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  24. stay clear of the diabetic chocolates - lawd, the wind they generate

    I'm sure you could make your own diabetically sound burritos

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a shit sandwich. Sorry, FN. I have been handed one of my own (not the same illness) and what I can say is, you do learn to just incorporate it in your chosen lifestyle and not think about it much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh and type 2 diabetes is reversible. My father managed that and I can tell from the fragments of you in your photos that you are no way overweight like he was

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally remember the Galloping Gourmet! My mom and I watched him after school. But just like Match Game 73, I did not realize until my adulthood that these folks were DRUNK...I mean really drunk, end of the cocktail party drunk. Glad to hear he is alive and kicking instead of ending up wrapped around a tree.

    ReplyDelete