Friday, April 27, 2007

reality: it's not a pretty picture


All arguments that deal with THE BIG QUESTIONS tend to fall apart at the very beginning...when the hard math people are advancing towards the English majors' line, both of them slinging Reason just as hard as they can back and forth across the barbed wire.

Isn't that presuming that the universe conforms to order?
Do you really think that?
Grow up.


"Oh, no problemo!" both sides chirrup. "Subjectivity doesn't count! It's not quantifiable."
Arch chuckles all 'round.

One weeps.

Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy? We could just all plug our ears and sing real loud until stuff we can't explain and can't make fit into our arguments just goes away?
But that irrational, chaotic, unpredictable stuff just keeps on being there, doesn't it.

You know why?

That static? That will-of-the-wisp, here and gone frisson?
That's reality, kids
.
Reality is the note which still hangs in the air after the string has been plucked.

...Unless I'm wrong.
_______________________________



.......with great big honkin' props to the bravest woman on the internet, Chaucers' Bitch, and her Brave New Blog, Question: Everything!

Think you're bad?
GO THERE NOW.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Firsty! I don't think I am bad but I checked out Question Everything! Way to go Chaucers' Bitch!

    Reality, yep yep yep

    ReplyDelete
  2. d'you think she's telling the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:07 AM

    "Reality is the note which still hangs in the air after the string has been plucked."

    What a lovely lovely line...

    You might be wrong. But I'm inclined to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't HANDLE the Truth and that is why I blog. If you are overly Diagnostic about Life you will DIE AGNOSTIC!

    I am reminded of Dean Wormer's advice in Animal House,
    "Fat, Drunk, And Stupid Is No Way To Go Through Life Son"
    that may be true, but when I find a winner I stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More questions than answers doesn't stop me pigeon holling everything.
    If it don't fit force it.

    ReplyDelete