Sunday, June 04, 2006

it's raining and i can't garden! crap!

While we were coming back from Wenatchee we stopped in an antique store in a little town just to stretch our legs. It was a private home turned into commercial property, with all the fixtures left in place; kind of a charming way to display antiques, I thought. There was a screen door in place between the kitchen and the carport, and when that screen door clapped to behind me with that distinctive sound of zinging spring and creaking hinges, wood and wire mesh, I went back in time instantly to my grandmothers house. It made me take a breath and clasp my hands to my chest. That made the Yummy Biker rather exasperated, since we'd all rather I didn't have these sudden attacks of Victorian ladyhood, really.

It used to be that houses were built to the measure of the person building them, long before building codes and standardization of materials. Part of my present house was built like this; the original one room cabin was measured by notches on a story stick; and this story stick is still nailed to the south rafter up in the attic, over where the front door of the house used to be. That was the luck of the house, people believed. I was completely delighted to find it still there.

My grandmothers house was built the same way. My grandfather came from Finland and was a woodsman and carpenter. When he wasn't out cutting timber he did carpentry and general woodworking around town, and when he built his house he measured by the hand, finger and forearm, and also by knots on a string he kept looped in his pocket. The house he made fit him like a suit of clothes. There is not an inch of it that he did not touch. All his tools were hand tools and many of them were things he'd also made, whittled out of cherry or hammered out of iron on a small forge.

My grandmothers house was supposed to come to me, but my mother intervened, and my cousins sealed the deal, and now it belongs to the local parish instead.

It stood at the rear of a small orchard of Gravenstein apple trees which my grandmother had wound a flower garden around, with no particular logic. After my grandmother died I used to steal the key off the ring and go over to just sit on the rug or wander around from room to room. The smells were still the same, of cooking and my grandmothers perfume and old house wood. Every window had a fragrant flowering tree or shrub planted next to it, and by midsummer you were in dappled shade in every room of a house that smelled of roses and apples and grass.

It was not a large house by any means, and like my present home it had started life as a one room pioneer cabin, added onto as the family circumstances changed. The niche in the wall of the front room had once held a Murphy bed, and that was where my father was born. The kitchen had been converted to electricity only in 1965. The indoor 'facilities' had been tacked on in the 1940's while my father was overseas fighting the battle of Midway. The outdoor privy and summer kitchen still stood until the mid-1970's, when my dad tore them down to make a garden plot. Until then, you could look out our back door and see the little skinny shack with the crescent moon shape in the door, and sometimes kids who came over would beg to use it. It was full of bees and spiders and birds nests by then, but it was always something of a bragging point to say you used the old outhouse.

Unusual for the times, there was a full basement, with a section left in dirt so that mason jars of canned food could be bedded in the cool soil. The cement walls and stairs had been poured using scrap planking and a plumb bob, pail by pail.
Those were the stairs that my grandmother died on. She passed in a nursing home several years later.

All in all, it was a tight little set-up. My grandfathers craftsmanship was idiosyncratic,and downright goofy in places, but it held up beautifully well. Hell, the man planed his own window casements rather then buy them, and they are probably still keeping the wind out.

That was the highest price I ever paid for something in my life, was that house.

19 comments:

  1. You make me put my hand to my chest and take in a breath. This is a powerful nugget of writing. Although a world away, on a rough New Jersey city street, it made me think of sitting in my own grandmother's front room, her smell, the pinwheel mints in the glass dish. Thanks for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww F N , brought back many happy memories of both sets of granparents , a marvellous post...thanks

    Aww I have gone all nostalgic and unnesecary(feck what the hell has happened to my spelling) now...
    I had better leave before me Beast persona comes unglued :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woa. Aw, I wanna go hooooome... And a few years back in time... Bleh.
    Stop tugging my heart strings, the cement hasn't dried yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Such a wonderful tale. It's a shame the house is no longer in the family. It should be lived in by people who remember and love its history.

    Can i recite this story to people as my own family history? it's so much more interesting than the one we've got...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Such a wonderful tale. It's a shame the house is no longer in the family. It should be lived in by people who remember and love its history.

    Can i recite this story to people as my own family history? it's so much more interesting than the one we've got...

    ReplyDelete
  6. read it and wept. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mutha: welcome! i was glad to do it. you write like an angel.
    beast: Scrumpy, vandalism and a fight. works for me!
    noshit: oh, dont cry! go visit the bra fence or something! X0
    CB: I thought you came from proud immigrant stock with the covered wagons and subduing the plains and stuff. sure, go ahead.
    handrix: please don't cry! your welcome? oh crap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, FN, moved by the power of your writing. I am now seriously worried about competition for this years "blogger awards" I might have to send you a computer virus. Life is a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a touching story. I love to hear about such a warm family history.

    My grandfather also built his home here on long island when they moved out from the city. Though his building methods were more sophisticated due to the year it was built (1950's), you can still see my grandfather's quirkiness in some of the older parts of the house (house was partially destroyed by a fire in the 80's).
    interesting stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:34 AM

    It's so sad to lose a beloved house.

    I love that you have an appreciation for craftsmanship, and I DO hope the rain cleared up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was lovely. Thanks for sharing it. It makes me miss the home I grew up in. Old and quirky.

    And also my grandmother. Also of the old and quirky variety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. frobi: your reportage on members of parliament being auctioned off at a bdsm fundraiser was both insightful and deeply touching. you need feeeeer nothing ratty.
    clair: thank you. hang on to that place!
    whinger: the rains done but my backyard needs to be harvested with a combine now. crapola x 10!
    christine: those are the good kind1
    yati: thanks, and welcome! yeah, im getting ready to bombard blogger with some damn palo mayombe. this is beyond annoying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FN, that is beautiful stuff, really lovely writing. We had some aggro in our family about keep-or-sell my grandparents' house - we kept, and have had to work at getting it restored, but we've learnt so much.

    You have a sense of history, it's terrific to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. damn you and your writing-better-than-me.

    i love you really tho. are you in a blogger award thing? where do i vote for you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The minute the screen door slammed, I was just tuned in. You spin a nice yarn, sorry the house didn't remain with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. krusty: oh, aggro indeed! i know just what you mean. same happened here. cant wait for everyone to find out that the pope owns everything now!
    surly: oh hell now. hell, hell, hell no. no no no no. geeze. ak. thank you, my darling, but geeze, ak. gah.

    g: me too. theres just nothing like that sound is there? like hearing trains at night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely visual you painted of your grandmother's home. I, sadly, have no memories of any grandparents beyond a small picture in my head of my maternal grandmother in a dark dress.

    What I do have is the home I grew up in, in Seattle. My father still lives there and now that some time has passed since my mother's death there, I can go back and feel the past whispering to me as I go from room to room.

    Thanks for helping me feel those memories again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. pam: thank you.
    hardhouse: and thank you! one of the things i liked about anne rice is that you could walk through the streets and smell the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:31 AM

    This is very interesting site... » »

    ReplyDelete